Wednesday 14 December 2016

Week 14: A quick Summary!

My bike After the snow this Sunday!
Hello once again everyone and welcome to the blog, with Christmas getting closer there is not much going on around at the university, however I am busy trying to finish off as much as I can before I leave for England.

I started the week with the usual group meeting, here I spoke to my supervisor about my conversation with Roger Butlin the week before and he suggested that I invite him to be a part of my project. After the meeting, I shot off an email to Roger and not too long later I received an email from him confirming he would be able to be a bit more involved in my project. This was amazing news, his advice on my project will be invaluable and with his reputation and knowledge on the topic it should help my project do very well.  

My amazing Christmas advent calander! 
During the week I had multiple PhD student representative responsibilities, the majority of which was administrative issues such as, poster placements router, records of our previous meeting and passing along the votes of the PhD students on the structure of our “chain of command” to the administration. Also during the week I fixed my trip to Český Krumlov in the Czech Republic along with my hotel and the workshop itself. I will be away for a month in January taking part in a very intensive course, so I hope to learn a lot and have a lot to talk about in my blogs.

The two images are  the type of food
 we ate at the works Christmas party
By the end of the week I had finished writing my second digest but soon had it sent back for some major revisions. Also, the first has now been edited and is soon ready to be published. After this second digest, I will not be doing any more, although the experience I have gained doing them and the publications themselves are amazing for my portfolio, I believe I have reached the maximum of what I can get out of them. At the very end of the week I had a day course on academic writing. The course provided some very useful information, on the entire concept of writing and publications and how to do it. I can already see myself using some of the advice I was given and I feel much more prepared for my first piece of work/publication. If I have some more time next blog post I will go into detail on the things I learnt as they were extremely useful and think that anybody who is involved in writing publications should know. Finally at the very very end of the week we had the departments Christmas party. It was such a lovely evening with fun games and the Norwegian Christmas dinner is truly amazing! 
Playing in the snow instead of writing my blog! 

Although this blog is very short and I would have loved to go into more detail about a few topics I brought up this week, I do not have the time as you can tell it is already 3 days late (I was out in the snow when I should have been writing my blog post :D )! Next week I hope to have more time to put into my blog, however I will be traveling to England that day so it may be late again. I hope you enjoyed the quick summary of my week and I hope to see you again in the next one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment