Sunday 9 October 2016

Week 5

After my first month as a PhD was so exciting and jam packed with things to do, I hoped this week would slow down, so that I had the time to sort out all those little things that get pushed aside when you have big projects to work on. Some of the topics in this week’s post may get a little scientific, so I will make the words or phrase in bold and leave some links at the bottom of the post for any of you that are interested in reading more.

Spangled Darter (Etheostoma obama) named after Barack Obama.
A common tread of the Darter fish, is they are named after a
USA presidents. 
The week started with the usual meetings with the unit and lab team, I found out that I was accepted onto the genomics workshop in Český Krumlov, Czech Republic and was followed by my very first session of Journal club. Journal club is a very interesting concept, were people present interesting journals that could be very different from their own topic, but still relevant to our departments field. It is something I will definitely take part in when I find a paper I enjoy enough to take the time to present. This week Alexander Jüterbock gave a very good presentation on an extremely interesting, but a not so statistically significant paper. The paper was called “Epigenetic divergence as a potential first step in darter speciation” (Also linked at the bottom of this post).

Epigenetics, for those of you that don’t know it is the study of genetic effects that are not caused by DNA itself and may be a result of environmental factors, that switch genes on and off and change how a cell works. If it is still a little confusing let me give you a quick example, every cell in your body has all the DNA within them that makes you, you. Your skin cell is a skin cell and not a white blood cell for example, because only certain genes are being expressed. In this paper it focused on a particular type of epigenetics known as “DNA methylation”, which is when methyl groups (a chemical compound) are added to DNA, which in turn modifies how it functions. The papers results, simply put, tried to show that epigenetic changes such as DNA methylation, could influence or be the first step in speciation (evolution).

The excited little scientist! 
As I mentioned previously the paper was extremely interesting, but the paper seemed to be lacking in significant statistical evidence. I could write an entire paper on how modern science has become too focused on significant statistics that we are blind to papers like this, but I won’t go into that here! However, one very interesting thing this paper did for me, was that I started thinking about how it could affect my own project and if I could look at this DNA methylation in my own subject genus Fucus. After speaking to my supervisor, it turns out that we don’t even know if Fucus use DNA methylation, something we plan to find out about in the near future. This could open up a lot more questions, which I would be very excited to answer!

Finally, at the end of the work week I worked on fixing a computer with Linux, I finally got around to apply to Research Gate, ARCTOS and applying to be a SSB student representative, but I was mainly working on my CV. This was something I didn’t think I would need to do since I was offered the PhD, but I could not have been more wrong and have already submitted it 4 times since I started in September!

Although this week was not as exciting as my last, I hope you still enjoyed my post! Please feel free to leave me feedback and comment and have a great week and I will see you all in my next post!
Pictures from the grand finale of the Researchers Battle
in Stormen last week. From top lefts, Me, Peter Schulze,
Asan Mohideen and Helene Rønquist Knutsen.    

Article

Societies

Interesting links



       

No comments:

Post a Comment